Monday, April 14, 2014

Springtime Scouting


I decided put fishing on hold temporarily while I get a minor case of tennis elbow under control. Last weekend, I decided the time was right to do some scouting. There are a couple of spots I've been eyeing on Google Earth for a while and the time was right to stop procrastinating. 

I had really high hopes for the first spot. The hike in was about 1.5 miles, which I figured would help keep fishing pressure under control. You know what also keeps fishing pressure low? Fences and "No Trespassing" signs! They were everywhere. I did all I could to find a legit way around them, but to no avail. I guess it's back to the drawing board, though I don't see how accessing this particular spot is going to be possible without a boat. Oh well, it was a nice walk. At least I didn't waste time and energy lugging gear all the way to a spot which can't be fished. 

The good news is that spot #2 (different river) is definitely a go. It's not too far from home, so I'm looking forward to fishing it once fish start running. There were a couple of fishermen there already. I checked the regulations when I got home and they were definitely there out of season. I've heard this place has its share of rogue fishermen. After a long winter, the natives must be restless. 

My elbow is starting to feel better and I'm looking forward to opening day in Connecticut! 


  1. Did any if the signs have a name/#? Stream 1 might be extra low pressure. Try asking, can't hurt

    1. No names or numbers on the signs, though I have a contingency/Hail Mary plan. Stream 1 is definitely low pressure (at least in this stretch it is).


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.